Monday, February 8, 2010

After One Month In Italy...


As of Friday, I have officially been in Italy for an entire month! It's amazing how much I've seen and done, how much I've learned, and how quickly time has past! Ever day is a new adventure filled with something new or unexpected. There are so many things about Italy and the culture that I am in LOVE with:

  • The emphasis on people and spending time together. I don't know the last time I sat down for three meals a day (probably never). The purpose of every meal is not just to enjoy good food and good wine, but also good company. It makes me miss you all a lot, but hopefully I can bring some of this tradition back to the states with me!
  • A slower paced lifestyle. I guess this goes hand in hand with the last point, but I love how people take the time to enjoy life. Everyone isn't always on the go, running to their next activity.
  • Older Italians. I've never seen so many older people walking the streets. It is normal to see an older couple, or an older person with someone who looks like their child or grandchild, arms linked, walking through the streets. It's just a really nice site.
  • Coffee and Red Wine. Never liked either of these things before, but I've acquired a taste for them here. I've enjoyed sipping on a glass of wine with dinner, and having a cup of coffee with dessert or after a meal.


Things I've missed/ have not been too thrilled with:
  • My family and friends. Being here has made me realize how lucky I am to have the support system that I do back home. If it wasn't for you guys, I'd probably never want to leave Italy!
  • Diet Coke and free water. Wine is literally cheaper than water, so I'm always trying to remind myself to keep hydrated. And diet coke is too expensive to maintain that habit.
  • My bed. The bed here is no memory foam...
  • Dog poop. Apparently people do not pick up after their dogs. You always have to watch your step when walking on the sidewalk.
  • The amount of work I've had. It's not as much as UofM, but more than I expected. But I guess I am here to learn, huh?

So besides a few minor inconveniences, I've had an amazing time thus far! If the next three months are as great as the first, I'm in for a good semester! Can't wait to see what's in store for me next. Thanks everyone for keeping up with me!

Until Next Time,
Danielle

No comments:

Post a Comment