Monday, February 1, 2010

Shiny Puffy Coats and American Pop Music

They say that fashion in Italy is two years ahead, while music is five years behind, and in my experience I have definitely found this to be true. In every cab, store, and cafe the background music is extremely familiar; it's always American and from roughly the years 2003-2007 (and not always music that topped the charts).

While the music is familiar, the clothing is not. All the rage in Italy is this coat that look like a space suite, or as we refer to them "the-shiny-puffy-coat." I've seen men, women, children, babies, and even dogs wearing these things all around Florence. While I personally think they are a bit bizarre, part of me is intrigued. If fashion is really two years ahead here, maybe I should get one in anticipation for this new trend? What do you think? Should I rock this coat in Ann Arbor, winter '11? :-/


If you're interested my roommate Caroline found this video on the New York Times fashion section:

2 comments: